Wildlife Britain Forum - UK Wildlife Message Board

UK wildlife forum/message board

You are not logged in.

#1 07-05-2006 21:51:45

hughie
Administrator
Website

Snake Sightings - Report your Snake Sightings here

Please report all of your snake sightings in this thread, please give as much description as possible if you're unsure of the species.

Cheers,
hughie

Wildlife Britain - Webmaster

#2 09-05-2006 10:29:42

sightings

Re: Snake Sightings - Report your Snake Sightings here

From Tom Spencer

"I Saw a snake last week by the Regent's Canal just next to the Avery.

I think it was a grass snake. It was at least 3 foot long as it was
going across a bike path down to the canal and i couldn't see its head
or its tail.

It was an olive green colour all over and didn't seem to have any other
distincitve markings."

Last edited by sightings (09-05-2006 10:30:15)

#3 09-05-2006 21:23:46

Malin

Just found a baby snake about 10-15cm long and copper coloured with a balck stripe all the way down the back. black underside and under chin.
Put him back at the bottom of the garden hoping he will survive. would you be able to tell me by my description what sort of snake it is? Adder?
Thanks
Malin

#4 10-05-2006 19:04:40

Matt

Malin,

Obviously with out seeing it I can't be 100% and young snakes of all species can vary in appearance some what but from your description sounds more likely to be a Slow Worm which as you may already know is not a snake but a legless lizard. In fact I think the name is not well suited as it is not a worm and they can move very fast.

It is too early for it to be a baby adder, and although slow worms normally have young late summer on some occasions they do have young in the spring from a mating the previous year.

#5 11-05-2006 15:25:17

Toadrus

11 May 2006 - just found the cat watching a very small grass snake in the garden (in Surrey).  It went back into a gap in the wall.

#6 12-05-2006 09:58:24

cjaldr

Hi, Just found what I think is a grass snake in my back garden.  It looks like it recently had a meal as there is a large lump about half way down its body.  It is sandy in colour, about 2 feet long and with black markings along the length of its body.  There is also a black ring just behind its head.

#7 12-05-2006 13:49:13

Dan

Hi cutting the grass today and came across a small snake about 250mm long and about 10mm in girth. Colouring was dark brown with small black markings on lower flanks above belly and an orange collar behind the head. Tail tapered to a point. Looked like a young snake but I thought it was the wrong time of year? I would be interested to know what this was likely to be if anyone can help?

#8 12-05-2006 14:43:41

chris

Just seen a snake, brownish in colour with dark zig-zag pattern on back slither across the road in front of me. Approx 2 foot plus in length. Location between A423 Southam Road and Claydon on Warwickshire / Oxfordshire border. I have just checked and think it was probably an adder.

#9 13-05-2006 17:27:50

Matt

Dan,
Sounds most likely to be a Grass Snake, from the size I would guess one of last years young.

Macca,
Is it a British Snake? If so, again I would say sounds more like a Slow WOrm. (See pic below). 3-4 inches is very small for all british, and most other snakes.

Below is pic of 4 young SLow Worms. Difficult to see size in pic but they are all approx 4 inches long.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g102/mattbinstead/slowwormweb.jpg

Sorry, not great pic but best I have.

#10 14-05-2006 08:57:14

Dan

Matt, thanks for reply, grass snske was my first guess because of orange collar but was not sure how fast they grew. Large compost heap close to sighting and lots of frogs in area so probably nest in compost heap?

Macca, thanks for reply definately not a slow worm, used to have loads of these in garden as a kid so know them when I see them.

PS sighting made in North Somerset area.

#11 14-05-2006 15:39:26

carolynreid

I have just seen a snake in our garden, disturbed whilst digging in a large area of overgrown land near a compost heap. We have also seen a number of frogs in the garden. The garden is also next to a large area of thicket and has a large open expanse of grass. The snake was about 80cm long and 3cm in circumfirence. It was brown with a black stripe along each side and down its back and a black mark at the tip of its head. Does this sound like a grass snake? Sighting in central Norfolk.

From your close up photo Hughie, I think what I saw was a slow worm.  Thanks. Carolyn

Last edited by carolynreid (16-05-2006 12:00:01)

#12 14-05-2006 21:45:49

hughie
Administrator
Website

Great picture of those slow worms matt,  i've never actually seen one(or a bundle of them) myself.   

Where abouts did you find those?

Cheers,
hugh

Edit:
nice slow worm closeup i found on istockphoto
http://www.wildlifebritain.com/wildlife_forum/img/gallery/2_1147645301.jpg

#13 29-05-2006 12:30:11

Carl

We think we saw a Smooth Snake at Bradgate Park in Leicestershire today basking on the rocks.  Was brown in colour and had black markings not as distictive as an adder which is why my family think its a smooth snake, was approximately 2.6ft  -3ft in length. It was the first snake my sister and I have seen in the wild and looking at the pictures on the site definatley would of thought it was a smooth snake. Carl

#14 31-05-2006 10:25:52

monkeytrumpets

Hi Carl

I doubt it would have been a smooth snake as they tend to be only in the south... or do they???

would it have been an adder with less destinct markings?, did you get a pici?

#15 03-06-2006 13:52:01

chehollo

i have just found a silver grey with black marking snake by my back door, i think my cat might have killed it, it was about 8inches long, anybody have any ideas what it could be?

#16 04-06-2006 18:48:23

freespirit
Website

Hi
I was out walking today with my little boy and came across, what i think was an adder.  I had disturbed him by accident and he was pretty cheesed off with me.  However, when he was calm took a couple of pics.  Though had problem with the undergrowth.  Now i'm new here and don't know how to upload the pics or what size they should be. Would be grateful if someone could tell me how to share them.

Thank you

Free

Last edited by freespirit (04-06-2006 18:50:29)

#17 06-06-2006 08:55:30

hughie
Administrator
Website

Hi Free

If you can compress them so their smaller than 1mb and probably no more than 1000px wide, then upload them here

http://www.wildlifebritain.com/wildlife … .php?cid=1

and it should add it to the snake gallery,  i look forward to seeing them ;-)

Cheers,
hughie

#18 06-06-2006 17:18:40

Carl

Thank you monkeytrumpets for your comments unfortunatly I did not get a pic, wish I had though next time I will take my camera.

#19 06-06-2006 20:21:37

slithering sidney

Weve just found  what we now no as a grass snake , living in the pond, please see the post above this one for more info.

#20 08-06-2006 08:54:15

freshdawn

Hi, i have a sighting to post lol! OMG, well it wasn't me who sighted it and i hope someone can help me find out what type it is by the pic i will add! My partner works in Essex but stays at  Mersea island. He is living in his caravan and we go there for holidays ( just come back!)

Anyway he got home from work last night and needed to do some work on the van etc to get read yfor when we go for the 6 weeks break. To his shock he found this huge snake writhing around the awning! He sent me a pic of it on his phone and i couldn't believe it..........i thought he was winding me up!

Apparently it lay under the van for a while hissing at him etc but when he went to look for it again, he thinks it has gone off again!

I would really like to know what this snake is........and why it was in our caravan! If anyone can help shed some light on this for me it would be most appreciated!

I shall try to add the pic on here if i can.

Thanks

Fresh

( just tried to put pic on but don't kow how!)

#21 08-06-2006 20:02:06

Matt

Hugh,
Work at a wildlife centre so the slow worms were ours.

Carl,
As Monkey Trumpets said too far north for a SMooth Snake, could be an adder, would be a big one but is possible. Could it have been a very dull grass snake?,

Chehollo,
Hard to say from your description, but from size and colour I would hazard a guess at a Slow Worm.

Freshdawn,
Just seen your pic in gallery, Its a grass snake. Dull olive colour with yellow band behind its neck.

Last edited by Matt (08-06-2006 20:04:19)

#22 08-06-2006 20:11:44

Matt

Dont wish to step on your toes hughie but just to help try and explain how to post a pic.

As Hughue said, easiest way is to put it in the gallery.

Go to gallery
Go to new pic / post new pic
Then enter title, description if you wish
CLick on browse and this will let you scan your computer to find the picture you want to post
Hughie mentioned it had to be under 1mb, so may have to resize the pic in a photo program first.

If you want to post in a reply though easiest way imo is to find a Image Hosting site such as photobucket.com.
Create a free account and then upload photos to that site. This automatically downsizes file size.
Then to put pic in a reply, copy the sentance under your picture in photobucket next to "img" and paste into your reply.
Voila
Pics in your image hosting site can then be used on other forums if desired.

#23 09-06-2006 09:36:14

hughie
Administrator
Website

hehe,  tread away, far more eloquent than my sorry efforts ;-)

#24 09-06-2006 22:10:12

JeffH

I've just posted 2 photos on the gallery - 'Grass snake's evening meal' & 'Post meal'.
Can someone please confirm that it's a grass snake? It's about 30 -36" long & seems to have taken up residence in my small pondside  bog garden.
Also, can anyone tell me roughly what size of fish a grass snake will take? I've also been getting regular visits from a Kingfisher and have had to replenish my stock of small fish. However, having watched the grass snake swallow a frog of what appeared to be roughly three times its own diameter I'm now a bit worried about my bigger fish!

#25 11-06-2006 19:37:06

hughie
Administrator
Website

Hi Jeff, 

fantastic sighting, and yes a rather smug looking grass snake ;-)

I wouldn't worry too much about the fish, frogs are generally top of the menu.

British Wildlife Photography Awards

Board footer